SAVEUR.com's Sites We Love Saveur Magazine has listed The Skinny Gourmet among its "Sites We Love"

I've been having a great time checking out Nashville's high end dining on the cheap thanks to Groupon. Have you tried it yet? Its awesome. I don't know why I ever hesitated.

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Puttanesca Sauce

I never liked olives before I visited Spain, but once I returned, I never looked back. Now olives are one of my key indulgences. Puttanesca is a traditional Italian tomato-based sauce that relies on olives and capers to produce a distinctly hearty and bold flavor. This is a simple and quick sauce that works well dressed up for special occasions or for an everyday meal.


Ingredients

3 garlic cloves
1 tsp olive oil
56 oz of fresh diced tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes
15-20 olives, pits removed and roughly chopped
1 Tbsp capers
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/3 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Instructions

Saute half of the garlic over medium heat in olive oil until lightly golden (do not burn). Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil and remaining garlic. Simmer uncovered for at least half an hour.

6 servings. Per serving: 70 calories, 2.3 g fat, 3 g fiber

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs