SAVEUR.com's Sites We Love Saveur Magazine has listed The Skinny Gourmet among its "Sites We Love"

I've been having a great time checking out Nashville's high end dining on the cheap thanks to Groupon. Have you tried it yet? Its awesome. I don't know why I ever hesitated.

Monday, January 14, 2008

A Memorable Playlist

My husband is a music fanatic. When we first started dating we would often wrap up dates sitting around while he played songs on his guitar. Sometimes, if I thought the neighbors couldn't hear, I might be brave enough to sing along. I always sing poorly but with gusto, so singing in front of others means I really like you. That was probably one of the early indicators that I was hopelessly in love.

At any rate. He is also the one who laboriously puts together perfect music playlists for whenever we entertain. He always manages to hit just the right note to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. This past summer we had friends asking him to send them the mixes from some of our parties. So recently I thought I might ask him to create a playlist to go with the month's theme--Memories--that would make great background music for a dinner party or cocktail gathering. Here is his creation for your perusal and enjoyment. And no, there are no Broadway showtunes included.


January: Memories

1. "Caramel” – Suzanne Vega
2. “2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten” – Lucinda Williams
3. “Photographs and Memories” – Jim Croce
4. “I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine” – Beth Orton
5. “And It Stoned Me” – Van Morrison
6. “The State I Am In” – Belle & Sebastian
7. “Everything Reminds Me Of Her” – Elliott Smith
8. “Summer Skin” – Death Cab for Cutie
9. “Firefly” – Alpha
10. “In My Life” – The Beatles
11. “Hickory Wind” – Grant Lee Phillips
12. “Railroad Lullaby” – The Twilight Singers
13. “The Fitted Shirt” – Spoon
14. “Here's Where The Story Ends” – The Sundays
15. “Nightswimming” – REM
16. “Lil Wallet Picture” – Richard Buckner
17. “Our Way to Fall” – Yo La Tengo
18. “Watch Her Disappear” – Tom Waits
19. “The Three of Us” – Ben Harper
20. “I'll Be Seeing You” – Billie Holiday

3 comments:

Laura said...

I just stumbled on your blog, and if I wasn't convinced to bookmark it already (which I was) this post absolutely sold me. I am obsessed with music and food, and I think it is awesome your husband put together this list for you. Now I just wish I lived somewhere with better internet so I could check out all of the songs on ITunes! I think I will bookmark this particular page as well for after we move....

Erin said...

Thanks so much Laura! I just showed your comment to my husband Terry and he is pleased as peaches. I think you pretty much just ensured that his monthly music lists will be a continuing feature!

Lisa said...

I stumbled onto your blog today and I have to say I love the playlist! Starts with Caramel, must be good.

I really enjoy putting together playlists too. I usually make them for a particular road trip, but sometimes for dinner or a special event. I love the idea of matching the music to the event in a personal way.

So tell your husband thanks for the inspiration! And I'll be checking back for future playlists...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs